Some key points about the George Main
AAP 5 months ago
GEORGE MAIN STAKES
1600m, $500,000, weight-for-age
* First run in 1945 when won by Modulation
* Group One race from 1980. Run at Warwick Farm in 1983 and 2001.
* George Moore won the race nine times between 1949 and 1971
* Tommy Smith trained 12 winners between 1953 and Kingston Town in 1982
* Chris Waller has won four of the past five runnings with Shoot Out (2012), Sacred Falls (2014), Kermadec (2015) and Winx (2016).
* Shannon (1946/47), Baguette (1971); Kingston Town (1981/82); Emancipation (1983); Durbridge (1984); Shogun Lodge (1999); Lonhro (2003); More Joyous (2010); Winx (2016).
* Winx will be aiming for her second George Main Stakes and her 20th consecutive win
* Winx last year became the first horse since Kingston Town (1981/82) to go then on and win the Cox Plate
WHAT THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
"How do you tip against Winx?" - Ecuador's co-trainer Adrian Bott.
"He goes good second-up. We're out there to win but we're taking on a champion aren't we?" Happy Clapper's trainer Pat Webster.
"Winx is like Usain Bolt. He does not look like the winner at the 50 metre mark, it's the last 30 metres that he really starts to excel" - Winx's trainer Chris Waller.